Didn’t you hate those things in the high school yearbook? Why yes, I DO remember what happened no more than four years ago. In a few years, those things that you thought were worth writing down and memory-worth, will be quite insignificant. Or so you hope.
In light of Caitlin’s (of The Desert Dandelion) shout out on her blog, I shall come up with my own version of this tragic high school game. She is one of approximately four people that I still talk to from my tiny little Downeast Maine school. Terrifyingly, this will go back to 4th grade- 17 1/2 years ago.
– Terribly long games of 4-square at recess, that I’m pretty sure at least 2 of the 4 kids playing, were cheating. I may have been one of them- Caitlin was not.
– “Bagel! … BAY-GULL!”
– Ice storm ’98, skating from my house down to the beaver flow-age. Skating down hill on snow that you could break through and trip at an moment? Great idea!
– “Bang bang Maxwell’s silver hammer came down upon her head” Doo-doo-to-dooooo
-For that matter… “I’d like to be under the sea.. in an octopus’s garden…” Which goes along with the reason that I wanted to paint our propane tank that sits half in and half out of the ground… Yellow submarine
–Meow mix theme songs in the middle of the night.
-5:30am breakfasts Saturday morning with my dad.
-That morning your dad dropped you off at the takeout to meet us there, and one of the old guys “proposed” to me.
-45 minute treks in “Dolly” the super cool van, complete with VCR and tube tv. And all the recorded episodes of MST3K.
-An 8th grade school dance where my brother picked us up early (made it down and back during Duke’s half time) because I’m sure, some prepubescent boy was being a douche bag. Little did we know it only goes down hill from there, at least for a few years.
-The loft in my grandparents’ shed that had a very shoddy floor… built by the 12 year old version of myself
-Terrorizing your sisters and my brothers. A lot
-Showing you how to make spaghetti- breaking it in half, thus making is spray all over your kitchen.
-Beanie Babies! those things were the devil.
-Rug Rats’ Tommy watches from Burger King meals. That our 7th grade teacher tried to buy from us?
-N Sync Fan Fiction. REALLY hope those things were burned…
– The Canada Song which some of our friends did no appreciate
-Our moms teaming up to keep us away from classmates’ houses. apparently they could see the future…
-Board games (Pass the bomb!) at Bill and Deb’s
– Santa’s Village and riding the log flumes all day long. because we were the only two dumbasses riding in the rain.
–Y2K New Year’s Eve at your grandparents’ in Eastport. Thinking we were COOL that we had a tiny smidge of champagne. I’m pretty sure I drank both of ours…
– The last time we were able to make our schedules work to meet for lunch.
OH! And I TOTALLY took the first two pictures of you and Rob that exist! I’d post those, too… but my internet about died just trying to find the one that’s here.